Afghani rice also known as Afghani Chalaw is a traditional Afghan dish usually served as a side dish with different kinds of vegetarian or non-vegetarian curries. In any Afghan household, you must know how to make Afghani rice as it is one that is served the most, daily in nearly all families. It is amazingly simple to make; basmati rice is boiled and mixed with a variety of seasonings and then baked for half in hour. Basmati is an aromatic long grain rice and is grown in India, Pakistan, and Nepal. The name Basmati originally comes from Sanskrit “Vasmati” meaning “fragrant”. First make sure to clean it with few rinses in a bowl with water. You will know how many rinses are needed by looking at the water to see if it is still cloudy or not. After few rinses it should be all clear. The key to make it tender and fluffy is to soak it for few hours. Some soak it overnight or first thing in the morning and leave it aside till it is time to cook lunch. Another trick on how to make Afghani rice tender and yummy is to cover the lid with a kitchen towel while baking it.Serve it hot with your favorite curry.
Watch short video on how to make Afghani rice
What You Need to make Afghani Rice (Afghani CHALAW)
The Ingredient & Equipment section below contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
Cardamom (Finely Ground)
Pot with strainer
How to make Afghani rice (Afghani CHALAW)Course: MainCuisine: AfghanDifficulty: none
Afghani rice also known as Afghani Chalaw is a traditional Afghan dish. It is usually served as a side dish with different kinds of vegetarian or non-vegetarian curries. In any Afghan household, you must know how to make Afghani rice as it is one that is served the most.
3 Cups basmati rice
½ Cup Vegetable oil
1 tbsp. Cumin seeds
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. Black Pepper (Finely Ground)
1 tsp Cardamom (Finely Ground)
- Rinse rice (First make sure to rinse the rice. Leave it aside for few hours before cooking.
- The taste of it will be much better if it is rinsed and soaked in advance.
- Boil water (Boil water in a pasta pot with strainer or use a regular pot and drain the water after boiling using a strainer.
- Once the water is boiled, add the rice and boil for few minutes or until the rice is soft and long.
- Drain water from rice
- Heat a Pan on High heat and add vegetable oil, boiled rice, salt dissolved in warm water and the spices (Cumin seeds, Black Pepper, Cardamom)
- Mix well
- make holes with the back of spatula.
- Cover the lid with a kitchen towel and place it on the pot.
- Cook on low heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes.
- 10. Serve with your favorite curry