Mashawa -Afghan Meatball & Bean Soup – Afghan Food Recipes – طرز تهیه ماش آوه
Mashawa is a delicious Afghan meatball and bean soup. Pressure cooker is used in several steps and how long you cook it for depends on the beans and the amount of time each one was soaked in water before ahead. Here, we will cook wheat and chickpeas first, red kidney beans & wheat second and finally green lentils. Here are all the ingredients you need for this yummy soup:
¼ corn oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ tbsp turmeric powder
1 cup tomato sauce
8 cups water
1 tbsp. Coriander powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red chilli
2 tbsp salt
½ cup chickpeas
½ cup red kidney beans
½ cup wheat
½ cup green lentils
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and chopped onions.
- Fry onions until it is golden brown then add chopped garlic cloves.
- Add turmeric powder & tomato sauce and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add water, all the spices (coriander powder, black pepper, red chilli, salt) and chicken cube(optional).
- Add chickpeas and wheat.
- Mix well and close the pressure cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes and on medium for 15 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and add red kidney beans.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes and on medium for 25 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and add green lentils. Mix well and close the pressure cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes and on medium for 10 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker and serve in a bowl.
- Add yogurt, meatballs and mint powder.
- Mix well and garnish with a pinch of mint powder on top