Shorwa stands for soup in Dari and is made with meat, kidney beans, chickpeas and lots of fresh vegetables. It is cooked in a pressure cooker like most of Afghani recipes. Choose meat of your choice such as veal, lamb, or chicken. Pressure cooker is used to speed up the process and usually a good twenty-five minutes is needed and then you can do a touch test for doneness of the meat. If it is still not tender, close the pressure and cook it more until it is well done and tender. When using a pressure cooker, always make sure the pressure is released before opening it or it might explode. You will normally hear the sound of the pressure releasing once you turn of the heat. Shorwa is served in a bowl and Afghan bread naan is ripped into small pieces into it. It is served with lots of fresh vegetables and some people like to eat it with their hands to enjoy the flavors more.
Watch a short video on how to make Shorwa
What you need to make this delicious recipe
The Ingredient & Equipment section below contains affiliate links to products we use and love!
- Meat, 1 kg (veal)
- ¼ cup oil
- 3 onions
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup kidney beans
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 1 chopped carrots and 1 chopped celery
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 2 turnip
- 2 potatoes
- ½ tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. Salt
Shorwa (Afghan delicious soup)Course: Drinks
- In a pressure cooker, fry onions until golden brown.
- Add meat and fry it well.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, black pepper, salt and fry some more.
- Add water, kidney beans, chickpeas and chilli peppers (optional).
- Mix well, close pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes on high and 25 minutes on low.
- Once the pressure has released, open the pressure cooker and add all the fresh vegetables: chopped carrots, chopped celery, green pepper, spinach, chopped coriander, chopped turnips and mix well.
- You can touch test the meat to check for doneness at any point.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes on high and 15 minutes on low.
- Once the pressure has released, open the pressure cooker and finally add chopped potatoes.
- 10. Mix well and close the pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes on high and 5 minutes on low.
- 11. Once the pressure has released, open pressure cooker and serve the soup in one and vegetables and meant in another dish.
- 12. In a bowl. add bread in small pieces. Add soup, meat and cooked vegetables as much as desired. Serve with lots of fresh vegetables.
Did you Enjoy making this recipe?
Leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Click here to make Afghanistan’s national dish: Kabuli Pulao Recipe
Did you make this refreshing tea? Tag @afghan yummy food on Instagram and hashtag it #AfghanYummyFood1