Afghan Spinach Stew and Rice-Sabzi Challow – Afghan Food Recipes طرز تهیه سبزی چلو افغانی Sabzi Challow (Spinach Stew with Rice) is cooked on New Year’s Eve. This traditional dish can be served on any other day. It can be cooked with lamb or without. Here, we will show you how to cook this delicious recipe without meat.
Spinach Stew -Sabzi Here is what you will need for spinach stew:
- Vegetable oil
- Leek or green onions
- Garlic cloves
And for the species you need:
- Coriander powder
- Black pepper
- A pinch of Baking soda (For the colour)
- fenugreek seeds (For the smell)
First of all, mince leek or green onions in a food processor. Use a deep pan for this dish and add vegetable oil followed by adding minced leak. Fry it for few minutes then add minced garlic. Fry it a bit more until you smell the garlic being fried. Add spinach and the spices. Mix it well and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Add fresh coriander and let it simmer for another 7 minutes. And Voila, It is ready.
Rice-Challow Here is one of the most cooked meals. Rice is cooked on a daily basis in Afghan households with different types of curries.
Here is what you will need:
- Rice (Basmati)
- Vegetable oil
And for the Species you will need:
- Black pepper
First make sure to rinse the rice. Leave it aside for few hours before cooking. The taste of it will be much better if it is rinsed and soaked in advance. Boil water in a pasta pot with strainer or use a regular pot then drain the water after boiling, using a strainer. Once the water is boiled, add the rice and boil for few minutes or until the rice is soft and long. Drain the water from the rice.
Heat a Pan on High heat and add vegetable oil, boiled rice, salt dissolved in warm water and the spices.
Mix well and make holes with the back of spatula. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel and place it on the pot. Cook on low heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes.
Serving Serve with yogurt and a piece of bread.
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 2 leeks, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups spinach, chopped
- 3 cups coriander, chopped
- 1 1\2 tbsp. coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. black pepper
- A pinch of Baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1\2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1. In a deep pan add vegetable oil
- 2. Add minced leak
- 3. Fry it for few minutes
- 4. Add minced garlic
- 5. Fry it some more
- 6. Add spinach
- 7. Add Spices (coriander, black pepper, baking soda, salt, fenugreek seeds)
- 8. Mix
- 9. Let it simmer for 10 minutes
- 10. Add coriander
- 11. Let it simmer for 7 minutes
- 3 Cups rice
- ½ Cup Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsps. Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsps. Black Pepper (Finely Ground)
- 1 tsp Cardamom (Finely Ground)
- 1. Rinse rice
- 2. Boil water
- 3. Boil rice for 5 minutes
- 4. Drain water from rice
- 5. Heat a Pan on High heat and add vegetable oil, boiled rice, salt dissolved in warm water and the spices.
- 6. Mix well
- 7. make holes with the back of spatula.
- 8. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel and place it on the pot.
- 9. Cook on low heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes.